Wednesday, January 07, 2015

We're All Mad Here {Art Journaling by DeeDee Catron}

Hello hello stampers :) DeeDee here today to inspire you with a mix of old and new stamps! 

I had so much fun designing the new Art Journaling plate and am super guilty of squeezing it in everywhere, including the art journaling class I host here locally. The following spread was about creating cohesive backgrounds and faux metal bits. 

The journal base is actually a super basic sketching journal. I work a lot outside of the journal on watercolor paper, and then insert the finished piece. So I found a basic black journal that inspired me to start a Black and White spread series. The main focus for my spread is this amazing TweedleDum and TweedleDee stamp.



They're so lovely and full of life! The background work on the left page is lots of scraped black gesso and stamping. I used the Double Coffee Rings, Grunge Circles, and the older Dictionary Page. Since this journal is all about black and white, everything has been stamped in Black Archival Ink by Ranger.



The right page was done in similar fashion; with lots of black scraped gesso and the Grunge Circles. The best thing about the grunge circles is how they're easily repeatable. I designed them so that all the short edges of the stamp interlock, and the tall edges of the stamp interlock. You can easily just ink and stamp, ink and stamp, ink and stamp, for a cool continuous background. The other shining star in this background is the Writing Triangles. They come in a row of three, but can easily be stamped over and over for a continuous pattern as well.

Stop by my blog for a few more details and a bit more about the class :)

5 comments:

Corrie Herriman said...

I love this, but then I love TweedleDum and TweedleDee. They will be back !!! lol...
Corrie x

Gerrie Johnnic said...

Love this styling of the layout, how you framed the pages. Running to the blog now. xx

Tera Callihan said...

I love this!!!

Kristiina said...

I have just bought white and clear gesso, really was wondering if I should take the black, and what it could be used for... Too late now :) love your layout and the twins, I don't think I could keep to plain black and white, it would be irresistable to add at least some spot of colour!

ionabunny said...

Love this. Love the b/w, the dum and dee and the whole LO thingy. Very cool. Hugz