Monday, February 06, 2017

Mail Art Monday; Banksy Mailart Inspiration by Cheetarah

Hi all, welcome to another Mail Art Monday here at Viva Las VegaStamps! inspiration blog. I'm excited to share this envelope I made for our February Mailart Group Swap over at our Facebook VLVS! Groupies hangout.

And here it is, a Frida centered piece of Mailart. It's very easy and fun to make with just a few stamps needed. Let me share the process with you.

So this month's swap theme is Banksy which means you have to use at least one of VLVS! Banksy inspired stamps. There are so many great images to choose from but I decided to go with Frida for these envelopes. Started off by stamping her on the envelopes with memento tuxedo black and masking her off together with an address space next to her.

When the masks were on the envelope, I stamped Wildflower silhouette in 3 different Staz-on colors Hydrangea blue, Azure and Midnight blue.  Start with the lightest and then the darkest one on top. I made a busy bush but it's going to be pushed to the background in a later step.

I put the masks back on and added some brighter colors with my distress tool and mustard seed and ripe persimmon distress inks. Now it's time to color the face.

My choice of alcohol markers are the old style Letraset Promarkers. They are now distributed by Windsor and Newton. I chose to trace over the memento black stamped image with a mauve black color to give more warmth and accentuate that stenciled Banksy look. I also doodled around the address section with a Fabert Castell Pitt Artist Pen. And now to make it pop from the back ground.

Before I used my white gel pen I stamped She was... and an artists stamps with colorbox midnight blue and embossed with WOW indigo. My fave white gel pen to use is the Uniball Signo Hybrid, it rolls smoothly, has a great stark white gel liquid that stays wet enough to use in other ways. Love to use it as a high lighter! I just trace along the edge of the image in parts then rub the liquid out while it's still wet. You can get a nice blurry white halo around your image that way. And it definitely pops the image to the foreground.

In the end I also spattered some Liquitex INKS! in white and gold for a sparkle effect (I put the masks back on when I did this) and created a vignette by rubbing some black metallic rubs around the edges of the envelope.

Hope you're inspired to create something for the swap and join the fun! If you do, please don't forget to upload your made envies to the swap events page before february 17th and then PM our awesome swap coordinator Michelle with your address. And who knows, we might get partnered up and you might be getting one of these from me in your mailbox soon!

Thanks for stopping by and have a great day!

Stamps used:

Others:
Uniball signo hybrid white gel pen
alcoholmarkers
liquitex INKS!
faber castell artist pitt marker
Staz-On Hydrangea blue, Azure and Midnight blue
Memento Tuxedo Black
Distress tool round
Distress inks mustard seed and ripe persimmon
Black metallic pearl rub

2 comments:

Julie S said...

WOW!! Fab envie.

Sharon Foulk said...

I love this!